Notes to editors
1. Stansted Airport is London’s third busiest airport and the UK’s fourth busiest airport. It performs an important role as London’s base for low-cost airlines. Approximately 17.5m passengers and 133,500 flights pass through Stansted every year.
2. Stansted has been named by passengers as ‘the world’s best airport for low-cost airlines’ for two consecutive years at the Skytrax World Airport Awards. The poll of 12 million passengers covers 388 airports worldwide.
3. 16 airlines operate from Stansted, serving more than 150 destinations in 32 countries.
4. Stansted handled many of the additional VIP and head of state flights for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
5. The airport is a major cargo centre with over 205,000 tonnes of cargo handled a year.
6. 10,200 people work at Stansted including 1,400 BAA employees.
7. Stansted’s Adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, amortisation and exceptional items) was £86.6m in 2011.
8. The sale of Stansted will leave BAA with four airports: Heathrow; Southampton; Aberdeen; and Glasgow.
Media enquiries, please contact:
Simon Baugh, BAA: 07970 799114 / 020 8745 7224 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Will Parkes, Stansted: 07713 075077 / 01279 680534 / email@example.com
Investor enquiries, please contact:
Andrew Efiong, BAA: 020 8745 2742 / firstname.lastname@example.org