Commenting on the waste strategy, Dr Andy Jefferson, Head of Health Safety and Environment said:
“This strategy outlines the collaborative approach we’ll take to identify even the smallest of initiatives that will collectively improve performance.
“So far we’ve collected over 4,900* tonnes of waste this year and recycled and composted an impressive 52%. But with over 10,000 people working here we can also play our part to support domestic recycling.
“In 2009 for example, we hosted recycling banks in our staff car park for Uttlesford District Council, with over 2 tonnes of textiles and 5 tonnes of glass collected.
“Recycling targets are also being incorporated into third party contracts and in a bid to maintain momentum and focus we request monthly updates on performance. This approach has proven very successful with our cleaning contractors for example remaining ahead of target so far this year**. We also offer discounted waste collection services for recyclable items, thereby incentivising companies to separate waste.
“We’re fully committed to the strategy now set and look forward to reporting back on our successes as we work towards the challenging 2015 targets set.”
Initiatives in recent years to tackle waste management at London Stansted Airport include:
- Introduced re-cycling bins in terminal buildings and general staff areas.
- Reused construction waste. For example, crushed concrete from taxiway repairs were used for the foundations of a Hangar rebuilt in 2009.
- Planings from runway resurfacing works in 2006 used to improve road surfaces and create new cycle and footpaths within the airport boundary.
- Composted waste from landscaping work. In 2009, nearly 700 tonnes of green waste was composted - not only reducing waste to landfill but savings costs on fertiliser.
Actions set within the Waste Management Strategy 2010-2015 include:
- Review waste generated from packaging (i.e. prepared foods, stock deliveries etc) and identify opportunities to change to recyclable products.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with national and local waste recycling programmes and commercial ventures.
- Continue roll out of our food composting initiative – which between May and October 2010 has diverted 128 tonnes of food waste from landfill.
To view the London Stansted Airport Waste Management Strategy visit: