02 Jul 2014
- Express Set Down will move to the main forecourt from 03 July – directly outside terminal
- Improved signage on airport roads to promote free drop off and pick up (free for 1 hour)
- Real time information on airport approach roads to ease traffic flows
Stansted Airport’s Express Set Down area is moving to the main forecourt from 03 July 2014, allowing passengers to be dropped off directly outside the main terminal building.
Following detailed analysis of customer feedback and having completed a review of drop off and parking arrangements inherited when M.A.G acquired the airport last year, a series of changes in time for the busy summer getaway period are being introduced, including:
- Moving Express Set Down to the main forecourt giving passengers the most convenient access to the terminal building while retaining the minimum charge of £2 for 10 minutes
- Improved signage to promote FREE drop off and pick up facility in the Mid Stay Car Park. Free for 1 hour with courtesy shuttle to and from the main forecourt – ideal for anyone wanting to escort passengers and not incur any charge
- Investing in real-time technology on airport approach roads so that drivers are clear the forecourt is accessible, which car parks are open and where spaces are available
Announcing the changes, the airport’s Head of Travel Services Mat Garner said:
“We want Stansted to be the airport of choice for passengers from across the region and whilst we have a fantastic public transport record with over 50% of passengers using coach, bus or train to get to and from the airport, we also want to ensure those who need to arrive by car or park at the airport have convenient options to choose from that suit all budgets.
“We’ve taken time to look at how Express Set Down operates, we’ve listened to customer feedback and sought to balance the issue of congestion with ease of access and choice.
“As a result we’re moving the Express Set Down facility from below the terminal up to the main forecourt giving passengers the convenience of being dropped off right outside the terminal doors. We will maintain the existing charges to help manage demand and congestion, however, we already offer a free facility and will continue to do so, allowing passengers to choose the option that best suits them.
“To encourage more passengers to use this facility, we’re improving signage to the free pick up and drop off area, which offers a ‘park and ride’ courtesy bus service to the terminal forecourt, perfect for those wishing to accompany friends and family to the terminal or assist them from arrivals.
“On occasions when the forecourt becomes too congested, especially at peak flight departure times, cars will be diverted to the short stay car parks. To help drivers, we are introducing real time technology on airport roads that will not only ease traffic flow and improve access but will also provide the latest operational status of the forecourt, clearly indicating car parks with availability and those which are full.
“We are investing to improve Stansted’s infrastructure, and will continue to do so, and today’s announcement is another stepping stone on the road to improving services and facilities for our passengers.”