Stansted is the busiest single terminal airport in the UK and the fourth busiest airport in the UK.
Following a period of sustained passenger growth, our single terminal is now reaching capacity, especially at peak times. Up to 5,000 departing passengers an hour travel through the building and with new airlines arriving to offer more choice and greater connectivity, we want to plan ahead to transform the passenger experience and cater for growing demand at the airport.
At a time when London airports are filling up fast, Stansted has a vital role to play over the next decade, with significant spare capacity on its runway and permission to serve up to 35 million passengers a year - up to 11 million more than today.
In 2015, we set out our vision for how Stansted will be developed over the next 10-15 years to make best use of the existing single runway.
Stansted has now submitted plans for the latest phase of MAG’s multi-million pound transformation programme: a purpose-built arrivals facility.
The £130m investment will be adjacent to the current terminal building and enhance the experience of our passengers, whilst allowing the airport to serve up to 35 million passengers a year. It will also future-proof our ability to make the most efficient use of our single runway serving around 43 million passengers a year.
- The 34,000m2 facility includes plans for larger immigration and baggage reclaim areas and new retail facilties.
- A public forecourt, with easy access to onward travel options, will create a relaxing and welcoming environment for passengers.
- The building will incorporate the latest sustainable building technologies, while respecting the current terminal’s renowned Lord Foster architecture.
- Building a stand-alone arrivals facility will minimise disruption to our passengers during the construction.
- In time, the current terminal building will become a dedicated departures facility, creating more space at check-in, security and in the international departures lounge.
- These changes will create additional choice for our passengers and airlines.
The airport will now await a decision on its application from Uttlesford District Council. Should it be successful, we will work closely with our airline and business partners to ensure that their requirements, and those of their passengers, will be fully considered as we develop plans further.
Subject to the relevant approvals, we expect the new arrivals building to take up to three years to complete, with additional improvements in the main terminal to be finished by 2022.
The planning documents are available to view on Uttlesford District Council's website, using reference UTT/16/3566/FUL. Click here to be redirected to the documents on Uttlesford's website.
Please register your support for this project by writing to:
Stansted Airport Arrivals Building Application
c/o Planning Department
Uttlesford District Council
You can also leave comments on the application via Uttlesford's planning portal.
Please note that any comments or feedback about the application should be sent to Uttlesford District Council, who will assess the application. For specific questions for the airport, please email email@example.com