Items Banned from Hold Baggage
For safety reasons, the following items cannot be taken on to an aircraft. Please do not pack them in any luggage, hand or hold.
- Flammable liquids and solids.
- Oxidisers such as bleaching powders.
- Organic peroxides.
- Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders.
- Infectious substances such as live virus materials.
- Wet-cell car batteries.
- Instruments containing mercury.
- Instruments containing magnets.
- Fireworks and pyrotechnics.
- Non-safety matches.
- Fire lighters, lighter fuel, paints, thinners.
- Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller.
- Radioactive materials, acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda.
- Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper.
- Vehicle fuel system components which have contained fuel.
- Ammunition, detonators, blasting caps, mines, grenades, and related equipment and any other explosives.
- Smoke canisters and smoke cartridges.
To avoid bags becoming jammed on the conveyor belt, please ensure that:
- All loose straps are tied up or removed.
- All flaps are securely fastened.
- Extendable handles are retracted or secured.
- Old tags and barcodes are removed.
When deciding what to pack and what to carry as hand baggage, please bear the following in mind:
- Don’t wrap gifts. Security staff may wish to examine them, so may unwrap them.
- Never carry anything on to an aircraft for anyone else.